Facebook

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Barn Art Glass Studio - making a woven fused glass dish

I've been spending time in my studio learning a few different techniques. One of which is glass weaving. You can use this technique to create functional pieces, such as bowls or just for a conversation piece on your coffee table.
I'm going to out line the process for you. It's pretty basic in principle.
Start by choosing two complimentary colors. Decide on the finished size of the piece you are going to make. It helps to have an idea of what you are trying to achieve when you start. Don't get me wrong, there have been times when I open the kiln, and say "ah, that's not what I wanted it to do." That happens quite a bit when I'm slumping through a mold. This project had pretty predictable outcomes, though.

For this project I chose a dark transparent burgundy and an opal white. Once you've decided your colors, start cutting the pieces in the desired length and width. I chose 1/4" wide strips that were 8 inches in length.

Using simple math, determine the approximate number of strips you will need for your project. I was assembling an 8x8 square, so I cut enough strips for it all at the same time.


I assemble the strips on a base of clear tektra glass. This will allow for the finished piece to appear to have spaces between the strips, but will in fact be solid and can be used as a serving or candy dish.

The trick is to have patience when you are assembling and remember to build alternating layers so your piece will appear as if it is woven.

Once you are done, and happy with the placement of your pieces, I use glue to hold the pieces in place so that when I transport it to the kiln for the first firing, it will not slide of the base or lose the pattern.

After the glue is tried, you can full fuse to achieve a flat piece, which will still have a defined pattern, or you tac fuse for a more dramatic layered affect. You can experiment with your pieces and see which affect you like best.
Once you've done your initial fire, you'll want to shape your piece. For this piece, I chose an unusual shape using my Kaiser Lee mold set. At left, you can see the shape I slumped the piece into.

Kaiser Lee molds are very versatile and I've not had any problem with glass adhering to the product if you follow the directions included with the boards.
You can find out more about this mold system at http://kaiserlee.com


Below, left  is the finished piece, you can see the shine of the glass and in the center picture, and the interior curves.

The open weave method for kiln casting is versatile, you can also assemble your piece without the clear base for an open weave, which can create a very dramatic piece. Your options are limitless, so use your creativity and see what you can come up with.

Once you've mastered two colors, move on to three or four. See what you can come up with.
Until next time, that's all from the barn


No comments:

Post a Comment